Fitness Files: Tom Holland

I first met Tom Holland when I attended a Bowflex event in New York. Tom is an Exercise Physiologist, Certified Sports Nutritionist, and Bowflex Fitness Advisor. As a seasoned fitness professional with a strong following, I always enjoy discussing health and wellness with him.  He embodies many of the principals I believe in including a positive attitude! Keep reading to check out a few of this fitness pro's tips!

NMF: Has fitness always been a major part of your life or was there a catalyst/point in your life when you made it more of a focus and priority?

Tom Holland (TH): I have been working out since age thirteen, starting back when I first read an article in Sports Illustrated about how Herschel Walker the football player did 300 push-ups and 300 sit-ups every day. I began to do the same, started reading everything I could about fitness, and began working out in my basement. I haven’t stopped since.

In 1996, after trying every single type of job imaginable, I decided to make my passion my vocation.

NMF: What are a few of your go-to healthy snacks/drinks that help keep you on the straight and narrow?

TH: I don’t really snack, but rather eat every 2-3 hours or so. I try to always pair a healthy carb with some type of protein source.

-       Apples with peanut butter

-       Oatmeal with blueberries, nuts & seeds and two hard-boiled eggs

-       Protein shakes (Bowflex Body) with fruit and Omega-3 fats

-       Whole wheat toast with almond butter 

-       Egg omelet with vegetables

-       Granola with almond milk

MB0813PeakPerformer.jpg

NMF: How do you train your mind and stay motivated?

TH: Great question! A few of my personal “tricks”:

1.    First and foremost, I sign up for an event to give my workouts purpose

2.    I change my routine frequently

3.    I buy a new piece of fitness tech (watch, piece of equipment, even clothing)

4.    I remind myself how I am a role model for my two boys, and they are ALWAYS watching

5.    I remind myself how I really only can control 3 things: What I put in my mouth, how much I move, and my attitude. And when I do all of them in a positive way, my life is amazing.

6.    I appreciate the fact that I am healthy enough to exercise. It’s a gift.

NMF: How do you change your body?  What are your fitness favorites?

TH: I am a believer in “Excessive Moderation.” I focus on the basics; the exercises that have been around forever, like push-ups, squats and lunges and the myriad variations associated with them. I “work hard and play hard,” eating well 80% of the time and indulging the other 20%. I mix up my cardio: Running, biking, swimming, etc. I focus on doing a little bit of everything rather than a lot of any one thing.

For more information visit: Bowflex &  Team Tom Holland

Training minds, changing bodies!

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook @NadiaMurdockFit 

Make sure to sign up for my newsletter on the homepage of www.nadiamurdockfit.com

Posted on October 28, 2015 and filed under Fitness, Fitness Files, Fitness Lifestyle, Lifestyle, Interview, Trainer.