How to create a balanced and healthy pregnancy
With the month of September being National Yoga Month I have been exploring more prenatal yoga workouts both at home and within studios. There is something about the practice and guided meditation that offers a calming experience for my baby and myself.
In addition to prenatal yoga, I have introduced Ayurvedic medicine (also known as Ayurveda) into my lifestyle. This is one of the world's oldest holistic (whole-body) healing systems. Developed thousands of years ago in India. It is based on the belief that health and wellness depend on a delicate balance between the mind, body, and spirit. Below I share 5 of my tips in order to lead an Ayurvedic lifestyle during and post pregnancy.
Top 5 Ayurvedic Pregnancy Strategies
1. Take a moment to disconnect. Sometimes when my hormones kick in and I am feeling emotional or stressed I turn off my phone close the computer and do a 10 min meditation that is at the end of one my favorite prenatal yoga workouts (We Heart Yoga). This really helps to recharge my mind and body.
2. Don't deny yourself cravings. To be honest I haven't had any crazy out of the ordinary cravings during my pregnancy. Occasionally I may want something sweet and indulgent so I opt for the healthy version of whatever I may be craving. Chocolate chip cookies have been a frequent craving of mine so I have leaned toward brands like Kashi that make their baked goods with the purest ingredients. Occasional I have wanted candy, finding a healthy spin on candy was not easy! Then I rememberedDosha Pops-Ayurvedic Candies lollipops! I was introduced to them at an event last year and I loved them. Each lollipop is made from the finest ingredients with the major component being herbal tea. They even offer a Dosha Test on the website so you can find the right Dosha Pop for you!
3. Daily massage. Taking advantage of my foam roller and resistance bands to help me stretch and provide massage when my husband isn't able to give me one has been key. During my pregnancy, I have been experiencing some neck and back pain. Partly to do with pinpointing the right sleeping position and my growing bump!
4. Drinking enough water. This has always been important to me but now more than ever. It helps to keep the digestive track functioning. It's also key for flushing out the ama also known as toxins.
5. Opt for fresh food whenever possible. Frozen and canned foods create toxins (ama) within the body. Whenever possible I try to create fresh healthy meals and enjoy them in a calm relaxing environment.
For more information on Ayurvedic, Pregnancy Strategies click here!
To snag a few healthy pops or take a test visit: Dosha Pops
Training minds, and changing bodies!
Make sure to sign up for my newsletter on the homepage of www.nadiamurdockfit.com
Check out my Ultimate Bikini Workout Download by clicking here!