Heart health has become an alarming topic in the past few years due to the increasing rate of heart-related diseases. If you read a lot of nutrition-related articles Iʼm sure you have heard the incredibly overused phrase, ʻmoderation is key.ʼ Iʼm here to tell you one more time- moderation is actually key. Eating foods rich in nutrients, fiber and healthy fats will help you avoid disease. However, eating a little ʻunhealthyʼ or junk food is okay. As a college student itʼs near impossible to eat healthy all the time. I try and stick to the 80:20 rule. 80 percent of the time eat foods to nourish my body, and 20 percent of the time freedom to indulge. Not only will heart healthy foods help you avoid heart disease, it will also help you to feel great and ready to take on the day.
Reach for these 8 heart healthy foods along with my ʻlove your heartʼ tips: your heart will thank you.
1. Oatmeal: Oatmeal can lower cholesterol levels and contains many nutrients.
2. Almonds & Walnuts: Contains omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin E.
3. Brown rice: Has B-complex vitamins and fiber.
4. Spinach: Contains carotenoid and B-complex vitamins.
5. Salmon: Is known for it's omega-3 fatty acids.
7. Dark Chocolate: Has resveratrol and flavonoids.
8. Blueberries: Rich with beta-carotene and carotenoids nutrients.
Guest Blogger: Brianna Crosby
Hi guys! My name is Brianna Crosby I’m extremely passionate about nutrition and wellness and I love helping others succeed in terms of health. I’m a Food Science major at Clemson University and I’ll be graduating May 2015! My goal is to become a Registered Dietitian in order to impact overall health through nutrition. Ideally the purpose is to assist others to achieve their goals to live a happier and healthier lifestyle.
Training minds, changing bodies!
Make sure to sign up for my newsletter on the homepage of www.nadiamurdockfit.com